← Back to news

Notice of Availability of Rental Vouchers for Homeless Veterans

Posted in Press Releases

The AVCP Regional Housing Authority (RHA) was granted a US Dept. of Housing and Urban Development and Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) Voucher Demonstration Grant in 2016.

The purpose of the program is to assist HUD and VA in finding rental homes for up to 20 homeless Native American Veterans in the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta region or AVCP Region of Alaska.

A homeless veteran is considered as one who has no home of his/her own, lives with relatives, or moves from house to house.

The program will be based at the AVCP RHA Office Building at 411 Ptarmigan Street in Bethel, Alaska. Housing could be provided in Bethel or any Y-K Delta village, where the homeless Native Veteran wants to live and if rental housing is available and meets HUD Housing Quality Standards.

The VA is now requesting names, social security numbers, and dates of birth of homeless veterans to pre-qualify them for eligibility for the program so they will be ready as soon as they can begin issuing vouchers. Only the VA will determine eligibility, and AVCP Housing will provide or help seek HUD-VASH housing. The veteran will need to sign a Release of Information so we can send their confidential information to the VA.

A veteran is one who served in the U.S. armed forces on active duty and received an honorable discharge. National Guardsmen (and Reserves) are considered veterans if they were deployed under Title 10 (Federal Orders), completed that deployment, and issued an DD-214 under honorable conditions; however, those that did not serve under Title 10 are not eligible for veteran’s benefits, unless they were injured during training and reported the injury with the VA, and was rated as disabled for that injury.

Others considered veteran are commissioned officers of the Public Health Service, the Environmental Science Services Administration, or the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. These individuals would have a document similar to a DD-214 as proof of this service. Other veterans also include those who served in the active military, naval or air service and were discharged due to a service-connected disability and filed a claim, no matter how long they served.


Please contact AVCP Housing at 907-543-3121 to provide homeless Native Veteran information. Please ask for Catherine Cedars or Carol Hunter. Thank you very much for your cooperation and assistance.